Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Infinite Thought: No Brainer

Posted by Infinite Thought

In Paris, clutching a book or two in a quiet philosophy basement. An Irish woman and her two six or seven-year old boys turn up. The boys are violent, loud, and start pulling books off the shelves. I look over at them with what I imagine is a mixture of horror and pity. She says to them: 'see that girl over there, looking at you. Now she'll never have children.' I don't know if she assumes I'm English or something (I hope not!). Anyway, I say: 'you're right, you know.'
She moves closer to me and touches my arm. 'Oh it's completely worth it. But you won't get a chance to read again until they're grown up.'

Whatever tiny, miniscule thoughts I have about this matter....I think that conversation just about wrapped it up.

Post Link

1 comment:

Susannity said...

i read like crazy and i have two rambunctious boys aged 6 and 5. It's the reading time that gives you a chance to breathe and not kill your children hehe.