Sunday, June 18, 2006

Recommended Readings, Part Two

I'm currently reading Ronald Hayman's biography of Jean-Paul Sartre. I've always been interested in psychology and philosophy--particularly in developing insights along those lines to put into pedagogical/political practice. Sartre was one of the leading late-20th century public intellectuals so I figured I might get some insights--what a fascinating, obssessive, bold, arrogant man... hopefully I don't sound to bourgeois when I say I am alternately abhorred and amazed by the story of his life. I've always been interested in the application of the intellect (will) in the world-at-large... how did this strange, little (5'2"), ugly (his description and others) make such a far-reaching impact on the global intellectual scene? His relation/collaboration with Simone De Beauvoir is also a fascinating story... I'm still on the pre-WWII part of his life...



Another recent read that has had a big impact on me is C. Douglas Lummis' book "Radical Democracy." I'm worried about the direction of our country and its current conception of democracy (especially in its passive sense), so I'm trying to develop a more active conception of the possibilities engendered by radical democratic action. Lummis' book is one the best I have read on this subject and has inspired in me new lines of thought that I will be mapping out over the next week--as I re-read it.



Finally, a powerful, short, affirmation of my own theories of dialogical intersubjectivity as the basis of knowledge--the individual developing in direct relation to the broader social landscape. So obvious to those of us that already think this way, but brilliantly explained and mapped out in Eviatar Zerubavel's "Social Mindscapes: An Invitation to Cognitive Sociology" This book is revolutionizing my conception of education and what I should be doing in the classroom.

No comments: