Saturday, July 10, 2004

The Etched City by K.J. Bishop

I've been literally (literary) wandering about searching for a good piece of fiction that would embrace my notions of the magic that the world can bring to the open senses (senses that haven't closed themselves off to the wonders of the world)... lately its been a disappointing literary derive through a series of authors who have no sense of style, wit or passion.

Last week, while strolling about downtown, waiting for Melissa to get done with some business at the DMV, I wandered into Lexington's Central Library to see if they had anything that might distract me from my anxious waiting for the results of my comprehensive exam results (see earlier posts--four weeks and counting). In a moment of happenstance I had the good fortune to walk out with a copy of K.J. Bishop's first novel The Etched City (2003)... wow, it slowly wrapped around my brain, luring me deeper into the environs of the dreamlike landscape of Ashamoil and the separate adventures of the mercenary Gwynn and healer Raule (sort of intertwining, yet separated, male/female, dark/light, ourobous)... and then there is the artist Beth Constanzin who may or may not be reshaping our shared reality (reader/writer/characters). This is a must read--potent and intoxicating, erotic and surreal, poetic and intelligent. This was her first novel? When does the next one come out?

Check out this excellent review of The Etched City in the UK newspaper The Guardian by another favorite author of mine, Michael Moorcock:

Landscape of Dreams

Also Fantastic Metropolis has an interview with K.J. Bishop:

Interview With KJ Bishop

No comments: