Saturday, September 18, 2004

South End Press

Summer is always a difficult time for me economically as I am un-tenured and receive only one teaching paycheck from june until october, so I had to restrain my book-buying habit... yesterday I broke down and headed to the local independent bookstore and after a leisurely browse bought Arundhati Roy's newest book An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire (2004) and Cynthia Kaufman's Ideas for Action: Relevant Theory for Radical Change (2003). Browsing books, for me, is serious work and I was surprised to see when I got home that both books, out of all the books I browsed, were from South End Press. I've ordered their catalog and no doubt I will be reading more of their books.

Introduction to Ideas for Action

Excerpt from An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire

A History of South End Press



2 comments:

Michael said...

Harry--I'm interested... I need people/colleagues/comrades who want to discuss books like these... what is on your reading list. I can burn CDs (my preferred way of sharing and acquiring music).....

I noticed that there are a lot of people in Lexington that belong to this site--I'll have to check it out--thanks.

Michael said...

Harry--I'll keep an eye out for it--you can feel free to email anytime--peace!