Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Thoughts Upon Joining the Progressive Alliance of Bloggers

Thanks for the invite and for organizing this important alliance... I'm interested to see where it takes us.

To answer your questions:

1. Who referred you?

No one--I kept running into the image at sites that I visit...

2. What percentage of alliance bloggers were you already familiar with when you joined the alliance.(take a guess)

About 10 bloggers, I believe there were 54 when I signed up, so about 20%

3. Do you have 3 favorite blogs that are in the alliance? If so, who are they?

Net Politiks is where I first saw it

Also, Scratchings, Pooponpolitics, Spontaneous Arisings, Et Alia, Red Harvest, Random Thoughts on Politics, and so on

Optional:
1. What would you like to see an alliance of ideologically aligned blogs do?

Multi-part answer:

A) Provide a welcoming environment to propose, develop and share ideas... reinvigorate the public sphere.

B) Provide a model for communicating built upon the forgotten/ignored ideas of the father of modern journalism: Thomas Paine.

C) Provide opportunities for organizing for change--both, online--to inform, persuade and petition... and, hopefully, moving to IRL where we can start:

D) Gatherings, conferences, convergences, parties---look at how quickly this is coming together... the possibilities could be staggering!

E) Develop reading groups in which we could sharpen our skills in a polylogical environment--posting and responding on common texts that could frame our dialogue...

f) Perhaps start an independent publishing venture--but this could just be our loose federation of blogs and homespace....

g) inspired by situationist and surrealist ancestors we could beging cognitive mapping the real world and dreaming the future

h) ask me tomorrow...


2. Do you have any skills or interests that could help our alliance grow stronger?

What do you need?

I'm a college instructor, writer, activist, provocateur, dreamer, irritant, wanderer, performer--does this qualify me for anything?

2 comments:

Nick said...

Michael: those our big ideas -- dealing with group think has sucked those out of me like a vampire. Let's talk tomorrow, we're on the exact same wave length. Plus we need fresh ideas if we are to keep up our momentum. E-mail me, write a post at PBAOA.blogspot.com (our "think-tank" you'll get an invite in the mail), or post it here when you feel inspired. Also, there are some fellow hardcore eggheads in this group who I want to get more engaged with eachother. Talk to you soon.

Susannity said...

Thank you for this post and Nick for highlighting it on PBA. I am new to the PBA and to blogging, but not to intellectual debate and growth or activism. I too see a lot of potential for such a group, as well as my hope for us to learn from and share with each other. I'm learning about more of the blogs and members, and have at times questioned if I'm at the right place or on the correct medium. Time will tell... Just wanted to say I liked your proposals and ideas and thank you for sharing them.