Sunday, December 11, 2005

Richard Pryor: 1940-2005

Richard Pryor was a groundbreaking comedian that pierced through the shell of 1970s mainstream America... I remember as a little kid my parents receiving a copy of "Is It Something I Said?" for a Christmas present and I wanted to hear it played. My parents, of course, with older generations present, squirmed uncomfortably and made some excuse about the record player... later I played it myself and learned about a new culture. It was revolutionary humor, it was cultural storytelling and it kicked open the door for others to follow him. It is often remarked that what was most remarkable about Pryor was his simultaneous rage and vulnerability... soemthing I could understand.



Green Cine's collection of early tributes

Also check out Jill Nelson's "Pryor Convictions"

2 comments:

REB 84 said...

Rest in peace Richard. You will be missed.

QuestionItNow - Blogs

Anonymous said...

i remember sitting around with labatts listening and laughing to him with great friends...may he find some pece now.

Abby