Sunday, April 15, 2007

An Open Message to Michael Franti and Spearhead

Dear Michael and Spearhead,

I just wanted to say thanks for your inspiration of younger people through your positive music and messages.

I teach a peace studies course and was impressed by how many of my students mentioned your work as a positive example of peace-oriented artistic production. I then sought out your DVD I Know I'm Not Alone and your new CD Yell Fire!

In a couple of weeks we are having a series of progressive films on our campus which will be used to develop a deeper understanding of the world and hopefully inspire our students/faculty/community to become more involved in progressive activism. Your film is one of our choices as we have a lot of student musicians/artists and we believe that your projects remind us of the role of artists/citizens in a time of war.

Peace and Love,

Michael Benton
English Coordinator/Film Studies
Bluegrass Community and Technical College (Lexington, KY)
Bluegrass Film Society

No comments: