Saturday, January 10, 2009

2009 Reading Diary

(Always hopelessly behind on listing the books I read ... I read a lot of books, essays, student writings, poems, articles, etc and I'm researching constantly--these are the books I actually get to read straight through from beginning to the end. I would make a listing for essays--alone and in compilations, but it would take too much time... posting them when I can.)

5 stars: masterpiece
4 stars: superior
3 stars: good effort
2 stars: some redeeming qualities
1 star: give me back the time I wasted (these never show up here--b/c they get discarded before I finish them, sadly more and more books are falling into this category)

Non-Fiction:

Dixon, Wheeler Winston and Gwendolyn Audrey Foster. A Short History of Film. Rutgers University Press, 2008. 4 stars (assigned for my students in ENG 282: International Film Studies course)

Rosenbaum, Jonathan. Essential Cinema: On the Necessity of Film Canons. Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2004. 5 stars.

Novels:

Chabon, Michael. The Yiddish Policeman's Union (Harper's Collins: 2007) 4 stars

Short Stories:

Chaon, Dan. "The Bees." Poe's Children: The New Horror. ed. Peter Straub. Doubleday, 2008: 1-19. 4 stars

Hand, Elizabeth. "Cleopatra Brimstone." Poe's Children: The New Horror. ed. Peter Straub. Doubleday, 2008: 20-70. 4 stars

Graphic Novels:

Willingham, Bill, et al. Fables 9: Sons of Empire; Fables 10: The Good Prince; Fables 11: War and Pieces. Vertigo Comics: 2007/2008/2008. 4/5/3 (respectively) stars.

No comments: