Thursday, January 01, 2009

Larval Subjects: The Problem With Obama's Choice of Homophobic Rick Warren to Give the Prayer at His Inauguration

Larval Subjects is one of my favorite mind-stretching blogs (literally warps it everytime). Levi recently returned to earth for a moment to remind us about the problem of a recent Obama choice:

Obama has chosen Rick Warren, author of The Purpose Driven Life, to give the prayer at his inauguration. Apparently gay rights are second to other civil rights issues and it’s okay to have a speaker who compares homosexuals to rapists, child molesters, and child abusers. Express your displeasure here. There is zero reason to give this sort of hate a publicly legitimate platform. Certainly there are plenty of Christian leaders that would be more appropriate. There is no room for these voices in the public space.


State your mind on this issue and then drop by Larval Subjects and check out the philosophical threads.

(To be honest I would rather we eliminate prayer at these functions altogether, but if it has to be a part of our political spectacles, surely, there must be a better person to give it? To be clear here, and to stop pointless rants, I am not against prayer at all, I think it can be a very positive practice. I'm just against my government sanctioning a form of religion as the "official" faith. To be absolutely clear here, I am not anti-Christian, I am not an atheist, rather I am a complete pantheist/anti-theist. Pura Vida!)

No comments: