Thursday, November 04, 2010

Alex Sanders: Response to the The Return

'THE RETURN'
ENG 282 Response



Okay, this is honestly one of the best movies I've ever seen!

I'm not going to review the film from a filmmaker's point of view because I didn't watch it from a filmmaker's point of view and I ALWAYS, ALWAYS watch movies through a filmmaker's eyes!

The way the film looked was sort of low-budget but that didn't take anything away from the story nor the film itself! It just made it seem more impressive because it lookeded like a film that my friends and me could've made. Omigod - I haven't stopped thinking about it since I saw it. The ending of the film hurt to watch because I think I know what was in the box. I grew up never knowing my mother so the relationship between him and Ivan was sort of like mine and my father. The soundtrack of the film, which I think was only several instrumentals is absolutely captivating and at the end of the film, the music helped make the ending as superb as it was! It was odd that that THE FATHER never really showed love but some fathers are like that - they love their children but have a hard time showing it. Especially fathers to sons. But I could see the love in the father's eyes sometimes - like for instance, when IVAN told him he was nothing and he said you're wrong, son (I THINK WHATEVER WAS IN THE BOX had something to do with the father replying to this like he did).

I think also what was in the box was something that he wanted to SHARE with his sons - something that described me or was something that maybe his father gave him. Something that would help his sons figure him out since they didn't know him.

But all in all, man, such a great film, it made me want to BE a father for some reason and have sons and just
love them. I will buy this movie and watch it probably watch a month - it's like The Shawshank Redemption - a movie that I will watch over and over and share with others!

The theme of the film to me has to do with the universal tales of fathers and sons, meaning a lot of times in life with everyone, there is this sort of rebellion we have against our fathers. Either we don't want to be like them or we feel compelled to BECOME SOMETHING because they put high expectations on it. But with this one, I think it has to do with never getting a chance to say what you want to someone you love or need to say. But it's strange because some people believe that there never was a father so if that's the case, the theme of the movie is letting go of their father and moving on. If that's the case, it has to do with them going on this trip to become men and grow up and leave behind the need of a father.

No comments: