Tuesday, February 24, 2004

"The Organization Kid" by David Brooks

(published by The Atlantic)

A few months ago I went to Princeton University to see what the young people who are going to be running our country in a few decades are like. Faculty members gave me the names of a few dozen articulate students, and I sent them e-mails, inviting them out to lunch or dinner in small groups. I would go to sleep in my hotel room at around midnight each night, and when I awoke, my mailbox would be full of replies—sent at 1:15 a.m., 2:59 a.m., 3:23 a.m.

In our conversations I would ask the students when they got around to sleeping. One senior told me that she went to bed around two and woke up each morning at seven; she could afford that much rest because she had learned to supplement her full day of work by studying in her sleep. As she was falling asleep she would recite a math problem or a paper topic to herself; she would then sometimes dream about it, and when she woke up, the problem might be solved. I asked several students to describe their daily schedules, and their replies sounded like a session of Future Workaholics of America: crew practice at dawn, classes in the morning, resident-adviser duty, lunch, study groups, classes in the afternoon, tutoring disadvantaged kids in Trenton, a cappella practice, dinner, study, science lab, prayer session, hit the StairMaster, study a few hours more. One young man told me that he had to schedule appointment times for chatting with his friends. I mentioned this to other groups, and usually one or two people would volunteer that they did the same thing. "I just had an appointment with my best friend at seven this morning," one woman said. "Or else you lose touch."

Forum:

The Next Ruling Class?
What makes today's students tick? And how did they get this way? Join David Brooks for a special forum on this article, in Post & Riposte. There are a lot of things these future leaders no longer have time for. I was on campus at the height of the election season, and I saw not even one Bush or Gore poster. I asked around about this and was told that most students have no time to read newspapers, follow national politics, or get involved in crusades. One senior told me she had subscribed to The New York Times once, but the papers had just piled up unread in her dorm room. "It's a basic question of hours in the day," a student journalist told me. "People are too busy to get involved in larger issues. When I think of all that I have to keep up with, I'm relieved there are no bigger compelling causes." Even the biological necessities get squeezed out. I was amazed to learn how little dating goes on. Students go out in groups, and there is certainly a fair bit of partying on campus, but as one told me, "People don't have time or energy to put into real relationships." Sometimes they'll have close friendships and "friendships with privileges" (meaning with sex), but often they don't get serious until they are a few years out of college and meet again at a reunion—after their careers are on track and they can begin to spare the time.

I went to lunch with one young man in a student dining room that by 1:10 had emptied out, as students hustled back to the library and their classes. I mentioned that when I went to college, in the late 1970s and early 1980s, we often spent two or three hours around the table, shooting the breeze and arguing about things. He admitted that there was little discussion about intellectual matters outside class. "Most students don't like that that's the case," he told me, "but it is the case." So he and a bunch of his friends had formed a discussion group called Paidea, which meets regularly with a faculty guest to talk about such topics as millennialism, postmodernism, and Byzantine music. If discussion can be scheduled, it can be done.

The students were lively conversationalists on just about any topic—except moral argument and character-building, about which more below. But when I asked a group of them if they ever felt like workaholics, their faces lit up and they all started talking at once. One, a student-government officer, said, "Sometimes we feel like we're just tools for processing information. That's what we call ourselves—power tools. And we call these our tool bags." He held up his satchel. The other students laughed, and one exclaimed, "You're giving away all our secrets."

Rest of the Essay

2 comments:

Alin said...

The Organization Kid.

Today the Organization Kid is a type of a modern student and is becoming a new life style. But what does it mean? How can it influence these people future lives? Can we say that they are happy, being so named Organization Kids?

I would like to introduce my personal point of view and share it with you.
Firstly, I think that the fact that there are a lot of things these future leaders-in-training no longer have time for is a great disadvantage of such a life style. Even there biological necessities get squeezed out. So they are too busy and have to schedule appointment times for chatting with there relatives and friends. Because of their extreme workaholism they don’t have enough time or energy to put into real relationships.

Secondly, I would like to say that of course it is a great advantage that these students are really professional and without any doubt, goal-oriented. But don’t you think that it can lead them to becoming money-mad persons? I think it can.

Thirdly, I cannot but mention the fact that today the Organization Kid is eager to please, eager to conform. Sometimes such students cannot even couch the disagreement in the civil way. Maybe they are just scared, maybe they don’t find it necessary to show there personal ideas. Of course they never get involved in any crusades. It seems like everything can be imposed on them by the authorities. But at the same time they are responsible, safety-conscious and mature.

Putting it all in a nutshell I’d like to say that the Organization Kid is a person who likes to study, a morally earnest with a great enthusiasm. But at the same time someone who haven’t got a family, real friendship and doesn’t live full life.

Michael said...

Alina,

Thank you for the comment at my website. The organizational model of education imports a false sense of freedom in the the individual believes they are struggling to define their individualism, when instead they are delimited in their choices and they sacrifice authentic relationships/connections in order to become perfect cogs in the machine.

Most seriously, for our democracy in the US, these new professionals/citizens, are "eager to please, eager to conform," they have a poor sense of history (american and the world: I like to think of us as the United States of Amnesia), and a fear/anxiety in regards to asking questions and putting off answers. The organizational kids, like their knowledge, compartmentalize their lives/experiences in order to cut down on friction and ambiguity.

Thank you for the dialogue :)