Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Vipavinee Artpradid: Why and for whom do you write/work today?

(A powerful response from a Thai-to-English translator that I read while Fugazi's "The Kill" was playing in the background and I read it again and I read it again and I read it again and I read it again..... thanks for this important reminder to listen!)

Why and for whom do you write/work today? (series of replies from filmmakers, critics and teachers)
Vipavinee Artpradid
Criticine

I had the option to listen but never listened. Now I work for those who want to listen but never had the option.

Perhaps we know so little because we don't listen. Perhaps we don't listen because we don't understand what's being said. Once we understand what's being said, then we listen, and then we realize we know even less than when we couldn't listen. Question is, do we continue listening or do we feel so insecure with what we know that we stop listening altogether?

Link to this response

Link to the Collected Responses

No comments: