Monday, June 02, 2008

In Memory of Dr. William Parker

Longtime educator dies
WILLIAM PARKER WAS HEAD OF MINORITY AFFAIRS AT UK


I met Dr. Parker for the first time this month when he gave a speech at a friend’s graduation and I was privileged to sit with him at a table of BCTC professors. His speech was a moving account of the problems we face as a culture that has grown intellectually lazy and he celebrated my friend as an example of a young person who is fighting this trend. I was moved by his speech and during our meal I talked to him about his Cultural Intelligence course (which I had heard raves about from students). I was immediately impressed with his intelligence, his generosity, and his vision. We had made plans for me to visit his classes in the fall and to talk more about education. I immediately sensed that Dr. Parker was someone special. He had 50+ years of experience teaching and after retiring from UK, he continued to teach Bluegrass Community and Technical College students about cultural issues/intelligence. I wish I had known him better, but I am thankful that I met him and was allowed to be inspired by his educational vision.

Michael Benton

No comments: