Friday, January 06, 2006

Flickerfit: Her Muse

Kristine at Flickerfit has a great post about a musical moment... made all the more beautiful as I was listening to Bettie Serveert's "Venus in Furs" while reading it:
---------------------------------------------------------

From Her Muse



Woke up last night around 4 am and, unable to get back to sleep, stumbled into living room and hit play on the cd player. I'd qued up, earlier in the day, Hildegard of Bingen's "Like a Feather on the Breath of God" (recorded on Hyperion in1983 or so). But at 4 am I'd basically forgotten what I had in the player so when I sat down to just stare blankly out the window and will myself back to sleep, the music didn't hit me as familiar even though this is one of the first cd's I ever bought -- at least 15 years ago -- and one that I've listened to probably hundreds of times over the years.

In my half-conscious state I just let my thoughts and impressions of the music lead me where they might. What was really interesting was how the female voices created a sense of both etheriality and earthiness. While I was listening I was watching these clouds of smoke drifting out of the Detroit Public Library whose rooftop I can see clearly from my 6th floor apt. The smokecloud would waft, at times, horizontally across the nighttime cityscape, and then it would wisp up vertically into the stars. I've spent a lot of time contemplating this smoky drifting, it looks very beautiful especially against the very gray backdrop of the city in winter. (At least I think so). This particular night the billowing clouds were strikingly similar to how the the choral voices on the cd seemed to work and move in and across sonic space. The architecture of the voices, singly and in combination at times seemed to blend horizontally (this is literally what I was thinking, examining) and when the solo parts came in they seemed to lift up out of that horizon, but never entirely away from it. One could really hear how this was about musical embodiment -- spirit made flesh.

2 comments:

kfd313 said...

Wow, thank you so much for posting this. I'm flattered. I've read your blog before but I wonder how you came across mine? Are you a Hildegard fan?

Michael said...

Kristine,

I came across your site because the free-service that tallies visitors (the numbers on the right hand side) keeps track of sites from which visitors come to my weblog.

I sometimes visit some of the sites listed--I like what you had to say--it moved me and now Hildegard is on my music buying list (no I have never heard it before--but you have moved me to find out why it transported you to another level of consciousness)

I also liked your latest questions about the Avant-Garde