Monday, November 26, 2007

Homeland: Whose Home, What Land

(Studets asking me about anarchism...a repost)

In my summer course we are currently reading Homeland (Seven Stories Press, 2004) by Dale Maharidge and Michael Williamson.  The first section tells the story of Katie Sierra the teenage anarchist who was thrown out of school for a shirt she wore to school and her attempts to start an Anarchy club at her high school in Sissonville, West Virginia.
 
Well after discussing anarchy with my students, and later with Melissa, I realized that I have only a passing knowledge of the founding ideas of anarchism and that I needed to revise some of the stereotypes about anarchist activists that I had received from the media.   So I sought out a few handy guides online and will search for a couple of books to fill in the history of anarchism.  As always I would appreciate some suggestions/comments, especially about anarchist histories.
 
What is Anarchism?
 
Anarchist Sampler
 
Anarchist Library
 
Anarchy Archives
 
Infoshop: Online Anrachist Community
 
Anarchist Theory Guide
 
Spunk (Anarchist) Library
 
Anarchist Black Cross Network
 
Anarchist Action Network
 
Institute For Anarchist Studies
 
Anarchist Federation
 
Anarchist People of Color Website
 
Black Ribbon Campaign
 
Daily Bleed: Anarchist Encyclopedia
 
Daily Bleed: Anarchist Timeline
 
Anarchist News Service
 
Phoenix Anarchist Coalition
 
Anarchist Communitarian Network