(From Roberta Burnes)
It’s tomato time and that means we’re getting ready for the Tomato Festival at the Arboretum. The date is Saturday, August 8 from 10 – 2. The details on this free event are below; however, we need volunteers to pull this thing off and that’s where you come in! If you can donate even an hour or two of your time that day, please reply to this email. Volunteers are needed for the tomato tasting preparation team – you’ll be cutting up tomatoes into small bite-size chunks and whisking them away to our tasting table for hungry visitors to try. It’s a fun job and the day really goes by quickly. Last year we had over 500 people come to the event! This year we’ll have fewer tomatoes so we may even run out by mid-day; however, we really need a team of volunteers to make this happen. Let me know if you can help – and hope to see you there!
Celebrate the Tomato at The Arboretum’s Tomato Festival
Saturday, August 8 at 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Dorotha Smith Oatts Visitor Center
Back by popular demand! Come celebrate the tomato, America’s most popular home-grown food.
· Sample many varieties of heirloom & hybrid tomato varieties from Kentucky and around the world.
· Learn how to save your own tomato seeds to grow next year.
· Discover creative ways of cooking with tomatoes.
· Find out how to identify & treat common tomato diseases & pests.
· Tour the Demonstration Vegetable Garden and have your questions about growing tomatoes & other vegetables answered.
· All for free!
The Arboretum is located at 500 Alumni Drive between Tates Creek Road & Nicholasville Road in Lexington, KY. For directions see our website at http://www.ca.uky.edu/arboretum/ .