Saturday, January 29, 2005

Dreaming Essays

I used to get so wrapped up in some of the literary essays I would write as an undergraduate college student that I would become fixated on the time period I was studying and attempt to become the author or characters. Eventually, when the time was right, I would enter into a slipstream state in which I would have dreams of hanging out in pubs shooting-the-shit with the author (or characters) I was currently writing about (sort of a Borgesian experience)... my favorite dreamtime conversation was with William Blake, he was very energetic, passionate, and totally convincing... and the essay won first prize in a university contest--the awarding panel rolled their eyes when I walked up to the podium and thanked Billy Boy for a long drunken discussion about "Heaven and Hell" ...

No comments: