Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Daily KOS: Three Books All Progressives Should Read

Daily KOS gives suggestions for three essential reads to understand where we are post 2004 elections, the first two are Thomas Frank's and George Lakoff's recent books, which I read before the elections, but this third one sounds very interesting, especially as this is what I keep saying about Christianity--that it has been hijacked by a small group who have detached the radical essence of this religion--thanks, I'll look for it (visit the link below for info on the other two books):

The final book progressives must read is "God's Politics" by Jim Wallis. I don't know what I can say to give this book justice except it's one of the best books on the subject I've ever read. A couple of things this book did for me was to show me that it's a vocal minority of evangelical Christians, splinter groups if you will, that give the evangelical Christian community a bad name, and that Christian values ARE progressive values. It was the evangelicals who marched with Dr. King to fight for civil rights and worked to eliminate hunger and poverty in the world, and when have you ever heard those things being a priority in the conservative world. Another was to recenter me on what is really important.

The book is crammed with useful information (I hesitate to use the word ammunition) that if used could give the evangelical Christians a reason to vote for the good guys again. I've already used some of what Wallis suggests to win over some of these Christians, and to drive the neocons into a fit of rage. It's almost 400 pages in length but worth every second in reading.


Three Books Progressives Must Read

1 comment:

Michael said...

Thanks for the comment John... point well taken, but it does seem important to consider.

Although I do not consider myself a Christian, I was raised in the faith and a good amount of my radical inclinations were a result of my earlier faith... I would like to challenge Christian colleagues/friends to reconceive their position on the direction of their faith--where the movement going, who is directing it, is it working in the spirit of Christianity?