Monday, June 14, 2004

Pieces of April

I saw the recent film Pieces of April (2003) directed/written by Peter Hedges tonight. It was a fascinating movie that drew me into the characters' lives. I really cared about their struggles! The cover, of course, made it seem like a typical Hollywood family-in-turmoil during the holidays type of film, but the strength of the writing/directing (was this his first major release!) and the powerful turns by the surprising cast impressed me very much. It is a movie for those that have had to heal family wounds or realize that you need to confidently deal with your regrets and move on. It was only 75 minutes, but it seemed to pack so much into those 75 minutes--I highly recommend it!

More responses and a trailer from the film:

John Stiles

Trailer

Rotten Tomatoes

Patricia Clarkson's Oscar Nomination

Good summary, but gives some plot away

NY Times Positive Review, That Still Manages to Miss the Point of the Movie

No comments: