Friday, February 16, 2007

Oliver Belcher: Analysis of Local Starbucks

(The one in the Chevy Chase district of Lexington)

Read first:

A Paroxysm of Praxis: Experiencing Starbucks

My response:

I like your spatial analysis of our local Starbucks and would like to see a comparative one of an independent caffeine-haunt like Common Grounds (which is the same area, relatively... although we know the people who frequent these two places are very far apart, in more ways than one...)

The Starbucks you reference is very much about appearance (image is everything) and the few times I have been there (usually because a fellow academic wants to meet there) I have been amused at the level of pretentious posturing and conversing that is prevalent in the Chevy Chase SB... I remember fondly stumbling in there once on a sunday, worse for wear from late night festivities, desperate for a caffeine infusion to get me to my next destination, looking ragged and discombulated (especially that wild hair and glazed eye look). It was early morning and the other people in line (who studiously avoided me in my conversational friendliness--it was a long line) were dressed to the t's, well-coifed and well-polished... I wondered if they ever go anywhere without having to buff the exterior and polish their presentations and prepare their scripts.

Once again I would be interested in your comparison with an independent haunt, I would imagine, with a place like CG, what would be most unique would be the interaction of people--the spontaneity and the general atmosphere of hanging out/letting it hang out.

No comments: