Saturday, September 18, 2004

Northrop Frye: The Educated Imagination

"At the level of ordinary consciousness the individual man is the center of everything, surrounded on all sides by what he isn't. At the level of practical sense, or civilization, there's a human circumference, a little cultivated world with a human shape, fenced off from the jungle and inside the sea and the sky. But in the imagination anything goes that can be imagined, and the limit of the imagination is a totally human world." (29)

Frye, Northrop. The Educated Imagination. (Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 1970)

4 comments:

TheZenFly said...

Nice looking site, bookmarking it now. I am currently a student of philosophy and rhetoric at SCSU in MN, so naturally, I enjoy the content you have posted. Also, thanks for the link.

Buyankasha

Michael said...

Buyankasha,

Welcome to the site--glad you liked it and the link that I left at yours. What is SCSU? At first I thought it might be Saint Cloud as you are in MN, but that's a private school so it wouldn't be a "state" school, so I give up, what school is it?

Rhetoric and philosophy--a great combination! Please feel free to critique and comment--I could benefit from your perspective!

TheZenFly said...

You got it right, I do attend St. Cloud State University, though you may have been thinking of St. Johns.

Michael said...

I have a cousin that attends St Cloud and a former colleague also attended SCSU, so that is why it immediately came to mind.