Friday, May 02, 2008

EcoEKY: Green News from Eastern Kentucky

(Courtesy of Beth Connors-Manke)

Dear Kentuckians--

Recently I've started a blog called EcoEKY: Green News from Eastern Kentucky I'm writing to introduce you to the blog and to ask your help with it.

The purpose of the blog is to share and promote information about sustainable activities in eastern Kentucky. The focus of the site is not to be "anti" coal or "anti" anything else, but to be "pro" ecological responsibility and "pro" sustainability. I hope the site will grow in information and expand in function, and will eventually become "the" place eastern Kentuckians go to when they want to know what's green in our part of the state. Right now, it's functioning mostly as a clearinghouse for eastern Kentucky news articles on anything green. The bulk of the information so far has been about PRIDE clean-ups and recycling, but I'd love to add more information on renewable energy, organic gardening, local food, sustainable forestry, environmental education, etc.

So, that's why I'm writing you. First, to ask you to check it out. But also, to ask your help with it. There're a few ways you can do that:

1) by sending me any up-to-date news item, or blog post, or link you see relating to anything sustainable in eastern Kentucky. (So far I'm thinking of "eastern Kentucky" as the Appalachian area south of I-64 and east of I-75.)

2) you could write short articles or announcements about anything sustainable you know is going on in the area and I could post them for you--giving you credit, of course.

or 3) you could become an active participant in the blog. I would love a few people to take me up on this. I would add you as a blog member, and you would be able to post news articles, announcements, and blogs yourself. This would really help to add depth to the site and make it more of a community effort.

There's also one other way you could help: I'm looking for the "perfect" eastern Kentucky green image to go at the top of the page. If you come across such an image (very "green," very Kentucky, but not so detailed as to obscure the text) let me know.

The "links" page is also non-functional right now, but I hope to have that up and going soon. In the meantime, feel free to send me what you think are essential links to list.

I thank you for your time.

Best regards--

Sara

PS--feel free to forward this message on to anyone you think might be interested in checking out or helping with the project. Thanks.

No comments: