Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski, 1991)

There are those films that are so powerful that they wash over you like a huge wave holding you down as the currents wrap around your body leaving you gasping for air and exhilirated by the power of the cinema experience. That is what it felt like when I watched Kieslowski's The Double Life of Veronique and I know I will have to watch it multiple times in order to grasp it fully (it is on the BFS spring schedule). It was almost an erotic experience in that it fully stimulated most of my senses (perhaps smell is the only one left untouched) in a very sensual manner... my best advice is to get this film immediately and do not read anything about the plot (go in blind).

The Double life of Veronique (France/Poland/Norway: Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991: 98 mins)

2 comments:

pumpki&mo said...

i'm more than glad that you also liked this truly intense and, yes, poetic and profound film. between the lines i can read our feelings while watching it were quite similar. what a pity i can't take part in your lecture.

Michael said...

we may be on different sides of an ocean, but we can still discuss films that we see... you are the only person I know that has seen this film. it is one of the those films that shifted my understanding of cinema :)

feel free to email me at bluegrassfilmsociety at hotmail dot com