Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Morgan Spurlock: 30 Days

(Courtesy of Andy Johnson and Melissa Purdue)

Andy says:

Teaching anything related to living wage, poverty, class, business?

If so, you might want to watch 30 DAYS tonight (Wednesday) at 10:00pm on FX Channel. In this episode (the premiere), Morgan Spurlock (of SUPER SIZE ME) and his wife try to live on minimum wage for 30 days. Subsequent episodes feature a Christian living with a Muslim family for 30 days, and other such challenges.

The "Minimum Wage" episode should be a great resource for those of you using NICKEL & DIMED in your classes. It might come in handy, too, for all of us when we finish our PhDs and go on the job market. "Yes, I'm Dr. Johnson; would you like fries with that?"

Find out more about the show here:

30 Days

3 comments:

Susannity said...

I haven't had a chance to catch this show yet, but I was excited to see it was being made. Too bad tv shows can't be 1.5 or 2 hrs in length! Anytime anything educational is made for tv, I'm a happy camper. Hope the show is as good as his movie was.

The Continental Op said...

Thanks for the tip. This should fill the void in my Wednesday night viewing, now that Lost and Alias are in re-runs (yes, the truth about my trashy TV tastes is out at last!!!).

Michael said...

Susanne,

The premiere show as OK, I was glad someone is discussing the realities of trying to live on minimum wage, but of course it is also very artificial in that they are not "truly living" in such a precarious state (they can leave after 30 days--or if anything bad truly happened they would be rescued--or is it easier to get help when you are followed by a camera?)... but still I have to be realistic and give him props for addressing this issue and I will tune in for future episodes.

The next one is going to examine taking steroids/growth hormones.

Continental Op,

Despite the fact that Lost continually teased and frustrated me, I was hooked to the show, and I am anticipating its return. I never could stay interested in Alias for more than 10 minutes (usually Jennifer Garner strutting around in sexy clothing and escaping some improbable situation) ... I don't know the show lacks depth for me.

But I'm not criticizing, I have some very trashy tastes (Farscape and Star Trek: Voyager and Six Feet Under have been taking up space lately on my Netflix queue)