Monday, September 26, 2005

Banned Books Week--Read One (or More) Today (and Tomorrow)

From Terry Buckner:

The American Library Association has designated September 25th-October 1st as “Banned Books Week”. This is an annual event designed to educate people about the books that have been challenged or banned, and to raise awareness about censorship in the United States. We, in the Learning Resource Center, would like to take this opportunity to encourage students, faculty and staff to read a banned book! This week, we have a selection of banned books on display, a list of the 100 most frequently challenged or banned books, and bookmarks. Please encourage your students to read a banned book and expand their minds!



Bluegrass College Library Archive

American Library Association

6 comments:

Susannity said...

I perused the 100 top challenged books 1990-2000. I understand why some folks would challenge some of the books because of various beliefs, and some I just don't get at all. Ok, "Where's Waldo?" ????????? Is Waldo boinking someone amidst the chaos of the pages and I missed it lol?!

Anonymous said...

I went and bought my 13 year old daughter a few of these already...BTW Suzanne, BOINKING?? Waldo??? You owe me a new monitor for that one. The coke I spewed rendered this one useless!!

Abby Normal

Michael said...

Yes, that is very strange--and Waldo fans out there know what is up?

Abby, what's the word amongst your daughter's friends (if there is something forbidden about Waldo, tehy will definitely be the first to know?)

Anonymous said...

No word from them. Well actually I don't believe the word "boinking" is in her vocabulary just yet. I asked her about sex in there and the reply was a roll of the eyes. This of course led to another father-daughter bonding moment as she explained sex to me and how to be safe when you have it...

Susannity said...

roflmao. Ok, you got me to inhale my coffee on that one Abby lol. It's always good when the younger generation takes some time out of their busy schedules to teach us old farts something.
My boys own a few of the Waldo books. I use them a lot for vocabulary with my youngest because there are so many wonderful pics on each page. I just really don't understand what is offensive at all. Of course, I didn't see anything sexual or homosexual or whatever with Teletubbies either. Maybe I'm just too naive...

Anonymous said...

Well she just finished 1984. When I asked her what she took from the book she said, and I quote, " That this where we live now". She already comprehends what is happening in this country more than most adults.

Never had to watch Teletubbies. Now, don't get me started on Barney!!!