Saturday, January 01, 2005

Matt Ruff: Sewer, Gas & Works

A voice of (un)reason from Capitalism magazine that is against charity (per its Ayn Rand radical individualist perspective signified by her quote on the masthead), yet asks for donations at the bottom of the page:

U.S. Government Should Not Help Tsunami Victims

As a taxpayer I'm very happy that my country would help countries/peoples in need, its the money spent on bombs blowing the shit out of other lands that bothers me (makes me angry--hurts me). To make matters worse this militaristic agenda is becoming something of a religion that seeks to burn-at-the-stake anyone who dares to criticize it.

I just finished Matt Ruff's very intelligent, engaging, wild, futuristic novel called Sewer, Gas & Works: The Public Works Trilogy that includes a technological reincarnation of Ayn Rand (along with eco-pirates, a mutated shark called Meisterbrau, a genius-capitalist, activists publishers, disabled vets, the genocidal G.A.S. and homicidal robots). It was the perfect holiday antidote to the current ideology of solipsistic individualism that is gripping our nation (to be clear I do not oppose pleasure, individualism, or self-interest--these are good and necessary--what I do oppose is monadic solipsism that denies the interest of others through glorified worship of the self/group).

No comments: