Saturday, January 29, 2005

I Need Book Reviewers

Hello bloggers/writers. I'm the review editor for Reconstruction and I need book reviewers. We can offer you "the books" you need for the reviews (I'll request them from the publisher and have them sent directly to you) and the satisfaction of being published.

I am also in need of a couple of reviews immediately (this weekend). Does anyone have reviews ready or could you produce one quickly--if so we would have it up for you very quickly and then I could work on getting you more books to review.

The journal is an interdisciplinary cultural studies project and we welcome a wide-range of perspectives. We are seeking reviews of recent non-fiction books--theory, history, pedagogy, critical/political analysis, etc... We are also looking for reviews of performances, fiction, film, TV, music, and Internet projects. To see previous reviews in order to get a sense of the possibilities go here.

If you can help us out with reviews this weekend, or if you want to apply to be a future reviewer, leave me a message in the comments section of this post and I will contact you. Feel free to tell me your background and what you would like to review. If you already know my email, also feel free to just send me an email, rather then leaving it in the comments section.

13 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks Harry,

...later when you think of it, send me a title or two that you would like--I'll have the publishers send them to you (you want to pick recent books 2002-2005--its easier to get complimentary copies of those books b/c publishers are actively promoting them)

Please include a couple line intro to your authorial persona/bio (including the name you want to accompany your writing) with the review...

Michael said...

OK, now I have to read this book:

Excerpt from Beneath the Undergroundand this one:

Neutron Gun

TheZenFly said...

Thivai,

Wish I could help -- the only review that I have right now is one that covers Elaine Pagels' Gnostic Gospels, which isn't exactly contemporary.

I would be willing to help with future reviews when this semester wraps up (and as I'm sure you know, it just started). I'm just not sure I'd be able to find the time for a couple months.

If you're interested, I can forward a copy of my Pagels review to your inbox. Let me know.

Buyankasha (Chad K.)

Michael said...

Michael--I spent most of the 80s in a soma coma (lets face it, if you were going to sleep through a decade--that was a good candidate), so I'll have to pass on your offer--perhaps you can keep me updated on your experiences ...

Thivai, so light he floats

Michael said...

Buyankasha--send the Pagels review--I'll see if we can develop a classics review section... and do let me know when you are ready to do some reviewing.

I will allow 8 weeks to complete a review and we can tailor them toward books you are reading already for your studies (still getting some that you would have to buy anyway?)

Thanks!

Michael said...

Harry,

Pretend we are at the local pub, knocking back a few of our favorite beers, throwing darts or shooting pool or just philosophizing, when you are reminded of this book you just read, taking a swig from your mug, you launch into a description of...

Michael said...

Another common tactic:

Who is the author and why are they unique/important/dangerous/insane/idiotic?

Some historical/social/political context for the ideas present in the book?

Why should we care about what they have to say (whether you consider it is good or its is bad or you are just indifferent)?

Would you recommend others check it out? wHY OR wHY nOT?

Michael said...

Great, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Anyone else?

Cyndy said...

Obviously I couldn't do anything for the weekend since it's almost past but doing a few in the future would be fun. I'll browse some more around the site and you can send me more info. This could even prod me to complete some of the many books I have open and partially read.

Michael said...

Harry--I'll have them sent your way--do you want them sent to the address I have?

Michael said...

Distrans--sorry, I do not understand you... there must be some "noise" disrupting your transmission--can you clarify for me...

Michael said...

Beware of teachers offering books, ha! that's a good one Harry!

Michael said...

Distrans I am interested ... can you leave me an email so that I can contact you and get your address for sending books (we can also discuss what you are interested in reviewing).