Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Charlie Kaufman on Filmmaking; Release of Synechdoche, New York

(One of my favorite screenwriters--Being John Malkovich; Human Nature; Adaptation; Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--directs his first film.)

Charlie Kaufman on filmmaking:

It was my only job for the last five years and I need to have a job! I need to pay my mortgage and the economy is falling apart! What's the world going to be like in two years when I'm done with my next script? Is anyone going to want it? Is anyone going to buy it? Do I even want to put it out there because people have been so mean? A million stupid things are paralyzing me from writing. But it's what I like to do! I like to put something in the world that I feel is honest from my vantage point. That's the kind of decent thing to do in the world. To give people what you think is honest because, otherwise, you might as well be selling soap. In fact, you are selling soap! I don't want to do that. I'm not in that business. I've got to just jump into something and make it about what I'm interested in again. But there's pause. There's always pause at this point.


Green Cine archive on the film



The Kentucky Theater will get this film on Nov. 26th!

No comments: