Monday, November 01, 2004

New Site to Access Eminem's Mosh Video

New Easy-Access Site to Watch Mosh

In a previous post about Mosh an anonymous respondent criticized this video:

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Eminem. His debut is the only time I have been ahead of the curve...I walked into a mall music store in early 1999 looking for his first album... and they didn't know who Eminem was! I don't listen to him much anymore, but his first record was pretty incredible at the time. Point is, are we now going to champion this guy- this guy's message- just because he put out an anti-bush song? Come on, his lyrics are misogynist, anti-gay, etc, etc. He claims of his lyrics that they're all just a good joke. Aren't we in the business of calling bullshit on that kind of cop out?--I don't go for the "shock America out of complacency" excuse. If yes, then shouldn't we pause and carefully consider our reception of this latest work? If no, all the liberated bullshit we spout is just that. If it's just good business, taking advantage of the moment to get rich... well, even W. could appreciate that. Finally, I don't necessarily regard your posting of these links as an endorsement. merely as an opportunity for others to respond.


I thought about it and replied:

I usually don't reply to anonymous comments b/c it is difficult to develop a dialogic sense of who is communicating (even pseudonyms provide a cohesive voice for responses) and how I should interpret the response (context of a message is important and they can be framed by tone/style of previous responses).

Just let me mention the Beastie Boys and their journey to activism/respectability. Remember they also sang misogynistic/homophobic messages, but as they developed/matured and met more progressive individuals, they became aware of their messages and cultivated a more sophisticated/concerned outlook toward life and their fans.

Now Eminem could be pursuing a cold, calculating path here... but on the other hand he could be meeting some people and learning new perspectives. I think it is telling that the video was produced by Guerrila News Network and gives an ideal of the crowd he may be influenced by... this is not just a hollywood production.

One other thing, to be honest, when I was younger I also held racist, homophobic and misogynist views (especially through involvement in crime and gangs). I was raised to adapt the Tough Guise in order to function in a violent community. Slowly I developed new perspectives through involvement with caring people that taught me to also care about others... I changed ... Beastie Boys changed... perhaps Marshall Mathers can change?

Lets see... whatever else, his message will reach legions of fans and the video is a powerful statement even if it is manufactured--you can be assured, even if, as you think Eminem is faking it, GNN's Ian Inaba is most definitely real and taking it to the enemy.


I'm seeing this video everywhere with few responses--what do other people think?

4 comments:

Bill said...

I didn't realize GNN was linked to the video. That's really interesting and, well...cool.

I don't have much to add to what you've said, Thivai. I think it's important that we don't uncritically endorse Eminem, but it's just important that we don't cut off potential conversations by wholly dismissing him because of his past history.

Treading that line doesn't require too much skill, and I think most people who have reacted positively to 'Mosh' have done so in a way that hasn't implicitly endorsed Mathers' previous work or condemned him as an artist, altogether.

Michael said...

Hi Bill,

Good to hear from you

Thanks Harry

Really have nothing to say--tired... when will it end... so tired...

Anonymous said...

I suppose I should introduce myself as "anonymous respondent." If I have a screen name, I guess it is BMAC, and I will try to remember to sign future posts that way. With utmost respect and tact, I must ask that you not mischaracterize my statements. I didn't criticize the video; I questioned the reception of it. (Honestly, I think the video sucks, and the message...mmm, ok.) Without confirming or denying whether I am a fan of Ashley Simpson, it sure sounded to me like Eminem used a backing track on SNL-- a juvenile and irrelevant comparison, I admit. Hmm, maybe not irrelevant if the presentation of the product is more important than the authenticity of the message/sentiment. Anywho, I am interested to hear the rest of Eminem’s album—the 21st century Woody Guthrie! I appreciate the Beastie Boys example, but I suspect that the mighty dollar rules in the present case. It makes me sick that Springsteen, Soros, Stipe, Striesand….Mathers….spoon feed us our politics, but maybe Engels was right (the silly proletariet, what do they know). Disclosure: Am I spoonfed my politics? You bet. Continuing, GNN, I suppose, isn’t exactly in the same class as the Hollywood types mentioned, but I don't think Eminem is a Marxist either. Ah, you say, GNN is anti-establishment and revolutionary (I may be wrong here; I only came across GNN recently), so, too, was Eminem. Bonne Chance to your candidate, though I really hope Ralph doesn't win.
That said, I offer these two websites…
http://www.kerryhatersforkerry.com/
http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/
FBD
BMAC

Michael said...

BMAC,

You state:

"With utmost respect and tact, I must ask that you not mischaracterize my statements."

If you feel free to comment on my site, I will feel free to read your responses as I perceive them--if you have a problem with my readings, then frame your responses more carefully. Of course I'm saying this with complete sincerity... fuck tact.

So what is your experience with the "silly proletariat" that you can speak for their experience? I have to ask these questions b/c you have left no site or readings for me to investigate... and you provide no foundation for your grand pronouncements.