Thursday, November 04, 2004

More Thoughts on the Aftermath of 11/2

(response to comments on an earlier post)

I don't see our country as a true theocracy or even close. The neo-conservatives have co-opted some of the language and values of a Christian mindset and propped up their masquerade with a fanatical true-believer, but they are in no way acting or ruling according to Christian values (at least as I understand them).

People are just scared and that makes them easily manipulated. When we see those polls that so many people are believers I think that it is distorted in that a huge chunk of those people are infrequent church-goers (except where I am at--where they take their drinking and church-going seriously) and say they believe in God because the alternative would short-circuit their brain (I don't say this in a demeaning way--whenever I sit down and fully reflect on my anti-theism it seriously messes with my psyche). We are indocrinated/interpellated into belief in a God, it is frightening to think otherwise because once you remove that foundational card the whole house comes down...

Communication--we need to develop media channels to combat the corporate media system--this is a huge problem. The most disturbing part of the current social trend is its reliance upon a monological media system--one view, one politics, one voice (even if the players like to pretend the Rep and Demos are drastically different they are still agreeing on what to disagree about and whatever falls outside their agreed limits is not discussed or considered)

No comments: